Make "Active Topics" available in "Quick links" for unlogged in users

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Broomy
Established Member

Re: Make "Active Topics" available in "Quick links" for unlogged in users

Postby Broomy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:15 am

I agree with falkTX and Tramp, and I'm very thankful for the great work they and others do for the open source community.
IMHO the "I share for free what I have to offer"-philosphy, makes the world a better place.

Back to the orginal guestion: Although being a registered user, I often check this forum using different computers and therefore not being logged in.
It would be helpful if I can click on a "active topics"-button and check if there's a thread were I want to respond to.

Hans
The Quintar Project:
- Popularizing an all fifths tuning for guitarlike instruments
- Youtube: Playing and Building
- Files: Sourceforge

AndersBiork
Established Member

Postby AndersBiork » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:36 am

milk wrote:An list of the latest topics across all boards would be a nice experience for users without an account.

I think that's a very good idea.
Availability is needed for the linux world to flourish.
I'm no fan of gated communities, anywhere.
My mother tongue is swedish! Running KXstudio on Ubuntu Studio 16.04.

milk
Established Member

Postby milk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Could a mod or admin please make this change?
wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio etc. - a collection of mostly Linux and free links (OpenID auth for anti-spam, try DW)
Linux Digital Audio and Music Workstation Comparison Matrix - collaborative Google Sheet

milk
Established Member

Postby milk » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:12 pm

42low wrote:I thought it was changed already?

not yet (checking with an incognito tab).

if mods/admins can't be arsed, can i have permission to do it? i wouldn't fuck around now or in the future, i believe in doing the legwork/admin to create the future i wish to see, and there appears to be a natural consensus that it's a fair idea.

42low wrote:And thanks for the reminder to be less open.

i'm not sure i understand, can you elaborate, though i thought you wanted that conversation to end?
wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio etc. - a collection of mostly Linux and free links (OpenID auth for anti-spam, try DW)
Linux Digital Audio and Music Workstation Comparison Matrix - collaborative Google Sheet

falkTX
Established Member

Postby falkTX » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:50 pm

raboof is the one that is in control of the hosting, so perhaps better to check with him.
If there is a steps-to-follow list, I can try to see if that is possible to do.
I just don't feel comfortable changing something on the admin page and not having the resources&credentials to then fix it in case something goes wrong.

milk
Established Member

Postby milk » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:33 pm

So it appears this function relies on the search backend, so requires "Can search the forum" permissions set for each forum via ACP > Group forum permissions > Guests > *select public forums*, Submit > Advanced permissions (for each) > Actions.

So any visitor would have search access. Hmm. Why not?

falkTX
Established Member

Postby falkTX » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:59 pm

milk wrote:So it appears this function relies on the search backend, so requires "Can search the forum" permissions set for each forum via ACP > Group forum permissions > Guests > *select public forums*, Submit > Advanced permissions (for each) > Actions.

Thanks, I went through all forum categories and applied read-only permissions to guests.
This section of the admin panel is reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally slow though, some very unefficient JS code there, causes FF to use cpu at max for some moments everytime I open it :/
Hope it is okay now, let me know if not.

milk wrote:So any visitor would have search access. Hmm. Why not?

Is this question for me?

In any case, I don't agree with 42low views that one should answer to people the same they do to us.
Better to be equally nice to everyone, even those that are not our friends.
Doing good things to others only when we expect them to do good things back, does not seem altruistic at all to me...
Do your good deeds without expecting anything in return. If someone returns back the favour - great!, if not, that's okay too.
But that's quite the off-topic discussion here... :D

milk
Established Member

Postby milk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:25 am

falkTX wrote:Hope it is okay now, let me know if not.

Thanks, but I'm not seeing Active Topics in the Quick Links menu or forum search when logged out.

falkTX wrote:Thanks, I went through all forum categories and applied read-only permissions to guests.

Did that defo include this?
Screenshot of Group forum permissions.jpg

If so, I'll have another search around for a method.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

falkTX
Established Member

Postby falkTX » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:40 am

The options for this forum look different, we run an older version I guess..

scr705.png

scr706.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

milk
Established Member

Postby milk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:50 pm

falkTX wrote:The options for this forum look different,

Ah, then you want to click Advanced Permissions on the right hand side in the second image (for each board that you [ctrl-click] selected to edit in the menu on the previous screen. Then it pops up JS-like AJAX thinghy, you change to the Actions tab and change the search to yes there.

falkTX
Established Member

Postby falkTX » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:03 pm

milk wrote:
falkTX wrote:The options for this forum look different,

Ah, then you want to click Advanced Permissions on the right hand side in the second image (for each board that you [ctrl-click] selected to edit in the menu on the previous screen. Then it pops up JS-like AJAX thinghy, you change to the Actions tab and change the search to yes there.

I went through a bunch of them, but they all have the search enabled...

Return to “Suggestion Box”