Make "Active Topics" available in "Quick links" for unlogged in users

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

42low
Establlshed Member

Re: Make "Active Topics" available in "Quick links" for unlogged in users

Postby 42low » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:08 pm

tramp wrote:
42low wrote:Strange no one wants to understand that. Do you all work for free?

So forgime that I can't understand your continues stances that you will get something back when you post a help here. :lol: :lol:

Respect for that what you give. Without a doubt.

But i think that totally honest you either do it totally for 'free' ..... one-way, without any profit.
I think you eventually give the community for what you get back from it. Am i wrong???
Be honest. Would you give as fanatic, or even give at all if you didn't get back anything?
Would you do the same for free for that 'other os' if you won't get anything back and they get even more rich?

Is it then really that stupid if i say 'give and take'? Not only taking? (That's ontopic what's this topic is about, non active so non giving guests) Isn't that what the community spirit is about?? Was my argument that worst that it made it right to be called names??
Remind that i never said guests may not read. I only said we don't have to make it easier for them to stay in-active. = ontopic.

And then i got named a troll right away (and were reporting that didn't get attention at all, but i got warned when defending and ban-threat for reporting it?). And not the first time getting that kind off disrespect. Yeah right, that keeps me friendly. :(
Last edited by 42low on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Btw. I know what the biggest problem is on forums (also here right now). Never been any different.
On a forum discussion are made. That's what their for too. To pitty some people take discussions personal, react personal back, and many times not friendly at all. This is and was the main problem always and ever on each forum i've ever been.
Man, i've been on other music forums were if you place some fun nice music always someone takes it personal because feeling 'less' and starts taking it down. WTF man, if someone makes some nice music it doesn't matter at all if mine is better or worst, he made some nice music and i will compliment that. I won't be personal offended starting to kick personal. To many do exactly that, becoming personal, kicking (calling one names). :roll:

Also an example like that. Do you mention something a famous producer stated or adviced you get personally attacked as if you yourself talk total bullsh!t and they know everything better. Never an excuse if you make clear that is is said by a producer who created many ww hitsongs and not by you. They only smartly shut up then. If you mention some background you have it's always named as untrue bluf, while it can't be true.
Many people are insecure about themselves and that's always someone else's fault in their opinion. :?

DISCUSSIONS ARE ABOUT SUBJECTS! NOT PERSONAL! I NEVER MAKE IT PERSONAL! SO DON'T MAKE IT PERSONAL!
(don't try to turn this around. it was not me who made this discussion personal. All can read that back)

milk
Establlshed Member

Postby milk » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Could a mod or admin please make this change?
wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio etc. - a collection of mostly Linux and free links (OpenID auth for anti-spam, try DW)
Linux Digital Audio and Music Workstation Comparison Matrix - collaborative Google Sheet

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:24 pm

milk wrote:Could a mod or admin please make this change?

I thought it was changed already?

And thanks for the reminder to be less open. :D

milk
Establlshed Member

Postby milk » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:12 pm

42low wrote:I thought it was changed already?

not yet (checking with an incognito tab).

if mods/admins can't be arsed, can i have permission to do it? i wouldn't fuck around now or in the future, i believe in doing the legwork/admin to create the future i wish to see, and there appears to be a natural consensus that it's a fair idea.

42low wrote:And thanks for the reminder to be less open.

i'm not sure i understand, can you elaborate, though i thought you wanted that conversation to end?
wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio etc. - a collection of mostly Linux and free links (OpenID auth for anti-spam, try DW)
Linux Digital Audio and Music Workstation Comparison Matrix - collaborative Google Sheet

falkTX
Establlshed Member

Postby falkTX » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:50 pm

raboof is the one that is in control of the hosting, so perhaps better to check with him.
If there is a steps-to-follow list, I can try to see if that is possible to do.
I just don't feel comfortable changing something on the admin page and not having the resources&credentials to then fix it in case something goes wrong.

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:49 am

milk wrote:i'm not sure i understand, can you elaborate, though i thought you wanted that conversation to end?

I did end that conversation and took my conclusion.
If it get's "open for the whole word" i personally become less open. I want to help those who help me. And that's something i may choose for as i wish.
If i join a forum (no mather what subject) i get great help, and as a moral thanks i help back were i can. I don't egoistic grab information incognito without giving anything back. It's a matter of giving and taking for me.

In practice .... a man in my street saw i was working hard changing my garden and asked with real believe i would help him doing his garden because he was piteous. I asked him were he was when my garden had to be diggen out and heavy stuff had to be caried and so. He got it clear right away. :mrgreen:
I'm there for those who are there for me too. The rest who's not there for me can go [fill in what you think i want to say]. It's that simple to me. I'm not Jezus or whatever, like "they" aren't either as they show. :roll:

So at the end i will respect the choices which are made on this forum without any complains. But i will take my conclusion from it and practice that, expecting that that will be respected too (like it seems to be respected to that some choose to sneaky grab information. What's the big problem with loggin' in??).

And i almost forgotten to step back if needed, which you reminded me at. For which my thanks. :)

milk
Establlshed Member

Postby milk » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:33 pm

So it appears this function relies on the search backend, so requires "Can search the forum" permissions set for each forum via ACP > Group forum permissions > Guests > *select public forums*, Submit > Advanced permissions (for each) > Actions.

So any visitor would have search access. Hmm. Why not?

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:22 pm

I've already explained why i don't like that. You should read back this topic for that as i'm not going to explain again.

Why not register or login to get that function? Meanwhile giving a sign of involvement. And even more if helping others. What would be the problem with that?
A question i also didn't get an answer on.

falkTX
Establlshed Member

Postby falkTX » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:59 pm

milk wrote:So it appears this function relies on the search backend, so requires "Can search the forum" permissions set for each forum via ACP > Group forum permissions > Guests > *select public forums*, Submit > Advanced permissions (for each) > Actions.

Thanks, I went through all forum categories and applied read-only permissions to guests.
This section of the admin panel is reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally slow though, some very unefficient JS code there, causes FF to use cpu at max for some moments everytime I open it :/
Hope it is okay now, let me know if not.

milk wrote:So any visitor would have search access. Hmm. Why not?

Is this question for me?

In any case, I don't agree with 42low views that one should answer to people the same they do to us.
Better to be equally nice to everyone, even those that are not our friends.
Doing good things to others only when we expect them to do good things back, does not seem altruistic at all to me...
Do your good deeds without expecting anything in return. If someone returns back the favour - great!, if not, that's okay too.
But that's quite the off-topic discussion here... :D

milk
Establlshed Member

Postby milk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:25 am

falkTX wrote:Hope it is okay now, let me know if not.

Thanks, but I'm not seeing Active Topics in the Quick Links menu or forum search when logged out.

falkTX wrote:Thanks, I went through all forum categories and applied read-only permissions to guests.

Did that defo include this?
Screenshot of Group forum permissions.jpg

If so, I'll have another search around for a method.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

falkTX
Establlshed Member

Postby falkTX » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:40 am

The options for this forum look different, we run an older version I guess..

scr705.png

scr706.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:15 pm

falkTX wrote:Doing good things to others only when we expect them to do good things back, does not seem altruistic at all to me...

What a huge contradiction. Altruism.... pfff :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:
In the same case one can say it ain't altruistic at all to let others be altruistic without being altruistic yourself (=read-only).
So it's alright if many others aren't altruistic, but dare me if i won't? Rather contradicting ain't it? :mrgreen: Yeah right, i'm a sancta. :roll:

But question. Have i ever been witholding towards other registered member with helping/feedback/whatever before when it was partly closed??
Have been that much altruistic in my life that with the repeatedly lack of response that i've got i already will never ever be paid back in life for the wide altruistic lifestyle i lived by for most of my life. Been that altruistic that many can't exceed me with it. So don't point that finger at me please as if i wouldn't be altruistic.
Better spread the message for more altruism at those who can learn from it as they need it (the read-only people!!).

But like i said. I have my personal opinion about it, but i will respect this choice.
Respect mine too then. I will be reserved from now on.

milk
Establlshed Member

Postby milk » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:50 pm

falkTX wrote:The options for this forum look different,

Ah, then you want to click Advanced Permissions on the right hand side in the second image (for each board that you [ctrl-click] selected to edit in the menu on the previous screen. Then it pops up JS-like AJAX thinghy, you change to the Actions tab and change the search to yes there.

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Now i see that some former members-only forums (and topics in it) also already are put wide open on the internet for non-members. :cry:
Now my decision is definitely made in total. Hope those read-only people were worth to loose an active helping member and everyone is happy with the remaining "altruism".

I'm going to read. :|

Again:
42low wrote:I have my personal opinion about it, but i will respect this choice.
Respect mine too then. I will be reserved from now on.

Return to “Suggestion Box”