44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
Lyberta
Establlshed Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:15 pm
Location: The Internet
Contact:

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby Lyberta » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:20 am

protozone wrote:Formats are kinda fun, though. When you find something good. I even use TTA sometimes (TrueType Audio). It's brilliant. You could have 256 channels of 96 kHz lossless PCM in that one file, I think.


WAV can have 65535 channels of 65535 bit at 4,294,967,295 Hz (4.3 gigahertz). The byterate would be 2.3 exabytes (2,300,000 terabytes) per second.

User avatar
42low
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:31 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby 42low » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:15 am

Michael Willis wrote:
42low wrote:
protozone wrote:I sure hope MP3 dies before 44.1 :lol:

Forget it. It will never die. Otherwise a lot off players could be thrown away.

Forget it, 8 track/floppy disks/VHS/zip drives/cassettes will never die. Otherwise a lot of software/music/movies could be thrown away.

Right Michael. Nothing will totally die.
We once started with 22khz waves, and even those still can be played on the better nowadays gear.
With digital audio new will simply be implemented next to old.

User avatar
Michael Willis
Establlshed Member
Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:27 pm

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby Michael Willis » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:00 pm

42low wrote:Nothing will totally die.

Right, I was mostly being silly. Digital formats are very different from the physical media. Ultimately I think that produced music will be distributed in a different format, but players will continue to support mp3 as a legacy format.

User avatar
protozone
Establlshed Member
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 9:02 pm
Contact:

stayin' alive stayin' alive

Postby protozone » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Lyberta wrote:
protozone wrote:Formats are kinda fun, though. When you find something good. I even use TTA sometimes (TrueType Audio). It's brilliant. You could have 256 channels of 96 kHz lossless PCM in that one file, I think.


WAV can have 65535 channels of 65535 bit at 4,294,967,295 Hz (4.3 gigahertz). The byterate would be 2.3 exabytes (2,300,000 terabytes) per second.


Wow, that's amazing.
I didn't realise it had progressed to that level of sophistication.
It's been a while since I've read about that type of thing. Is that broadcast WAV format, or just regular WAV?

User avatar
42low
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:31 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby 42low » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 pm

Michael Willis wrote:Right, I was mostly being silly.

Wasn't that silly at all Michael. :wink:

Michael Willis wrote:Forget it, 8 track/floppy disks/VHS/zip drives/cassettes will never die. Otherwise a lot of software/music/movies could be thrown away.

8-track. Highly popular among some. Even some famous hit-producing bands grab back on 8-track recordings nowadays.
Cassettes. Also back. Perhaps by some named the "lp-revival wannabees", but i wish i would have kept all my high quality tapes TDK like the MAX types and all the others (metal ballanced and so). But thrown all away then... Look at those prices! https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds ... e&_fosrp=1 Mannnn if i still had them and could sell them i could easily buy me a new gibson or fender. Thrown away :cry:
LP-revival. For about 10 years already?

User avatar
Lyberta
Establlshed Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:15 pm
Location: The Internet
Contact:

Re: stayin' alive stayin' alive

Postby Lyberta » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:01 am

protozone wrote:Wow, that's amazing.
I didn't realise it had progressed to that level of sophistication.
It's been a while since I've read about that type of thing. Is that broadcast WAV format, or just regular WAV?


Actually, it was since the beginning. Number of channels and bit depth are stored as 16 bit integers and sample rate as 32 bit one. The main limitation is that the file size is stored as 32 bit integer which limits it at 4 GiB. WAV64 fixes this.

User avatar
protozone
Establlshed Member
Posts: 172
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby protozone » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:14 pm

wow, thanks.

@42low, those prices of cassettes really are astounding.
I used to use chrome and metal tapes all the time! ($2-$5 each I think? back then)

User avatar
42low
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:31 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby 42low » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Lyberta wrote:I've noticed that both Blu Ray and UHD formats no longer have the option of 44.1 kHz sampling rate. This means that if you want your 44.1 kHz music to be used in such formats, you will need to resample which means some distortion.


TOTAL BULLSHIT. As within the 48khz the older 44.1 digital information still will remain and that's more then enough for the hearing range. Nyquist, as everyone knows. Exactly what you use as argument if this is discussed.

User avatar
Lyberta
Establlshed Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:15 pm
Location: The Internet
Contact:

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby Lyberta » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:49 am

42low wrote:TOTAL BULLSHIT. As within the 48khz the older 44.1 digital information still will remain and that's more then enough for the hearing range. Nyquist, as everyone knows. Exactly what you use as argument if this is discussed.


That's so nice of you to say after distortion was proved by another member in this thread.

User avatar
42low
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:31 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby 42low » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:54 am

I'm no less nice as you are. Only adjust to communication you understand.

Then converting must have been going wrong.
Perhaps there was normalized? Bad software used for converting? Wrong converting proces? Or something else?

The 44.1 information is there and the 48 can simply include that exact same information (even more), so no loss.
If one convert 1 on 1 there will be no loss.

So again, totall bullshit that you sayd there wil always be losses.
Last edited by 42low on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
sysrqer
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby sysrqer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:17 am

Why don't you guys provide actual scientifically produced data? "You're wrong" "no, you're wrong" is tedious and pointless.

User avatar
42low
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:31 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby 42low » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:32 am

I won't, as any with some background in this knows 48khz kan include all 44.1khz information, and will if you use the right/good process for converting, so no loss.
So there's no need to "prove".

And why should i do the affort to "prove" as you and your pack will only grab the oppertunity to try to burn it down.
You won't fuck up this discussion sysrqeer. :lol:

I'll stop it. :mrgreen: Yep your bullshit is totally right.
Last edited by 42low on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Winter
Establlshed Member
Posts: 262
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby Jack Winter » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:37 am

Sigh :cry:
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux

User avatar
42low
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:31 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby 42low » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:42 am

I understand Jack. I feel the same.
Remind that i already stopped discussing in the previous reaction.

Will follow it though as i'm curious what others/professionals know about it.

User avatar
sysrqer
Establlshed Member
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: 44.1 kHz is slowly reaching its end

Postby sysrqer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:47 am

42low wrote:I won't, as any with some background in this knows 48khz kan include all 44.1khz information, and will if you use the right/good process for converting, so no loss.
So there's no need to "prove".

And why should i do the affort to "prove" as you and your pack will only grab the oppertunity to try to burn it down.
You won't fuck up this discussion sysrqeer. :lol:

I'll stop it. :mrgreen: Yep your bullshit is totally right.

Don't expect anyone to take you seriously then.


Return to “The Producer's Area”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests